Theme: No theme, but limited to 64×64 resolution
This was my first attempt at creating all of my own art assets.
Tools I used for the asset:
I’m pretty satisfied with the art. It’s very basic, but I think it conveys the style I was going for pretty well.
The game mechanics didn’t really turn out the way I hoped though. The goal here was to create a rhythm-based runner. (The rhythm-based part alone was already a bit of hassle. But I’ll save that for another post. 😉 )
The gameplay consists of jumping over mines and aiming at drones to shoot them down to the rhythm of the music. Separately, these mechanics worked pretty well, but put together they become a bit confusing. In retrospect, I should’ve just picked one of them and not both.
So all-in-all it’s a bit of mixed bag. But I did learn a lot about creating my own art and syncing gameplay events to music. It was also where I first got the idea for creating the RetroKit asset. 🙂